Saturday, April 09, 2005

Cherry blossoms & green thumbs

This morning Yukiko & I spent a lot of time in our little garden. She really enjoys gardening and I'm just getting into it. My parents and my brother are really good at it so I'm trying to catch up. I guess I'm, horticulturally speaking, the shame of the family. I planted a bunch of seasonal (only last 1 season) flowers last Spring and they did quite well. This year I'm going for veggies & herbs. I planted chives, parsley, thyme, peas and radishes. The radishes are only supposed to take 20-25 days so I'm looking forward to eating them. Radishes in Japan are very expensive and very small so I rarely buy them.
After getting the dirt off our hands we biked over to Shukugawa river to enjoy the hanami, flower watching. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom and they were very beautiful. We were also joined by thousands of lazy Japanese who were skipping work to get drunk under the trees. What a great day. This is when you can truly appreciate living in Japan.

The cherry blossom lined Shukugawa River.

Yukiko enjoying a tasty lychee chu-hi.

Showing why I'm not in commercials.







Picnicing under the sakura (cherry blossoms)

Some see beauty, some see the opportunity to make a profit. Food and drink vendors tend to blossom in unison with the sakura.

Yukiko's favourite cherry blossom tree which near our apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home