Friday, August 11, 2006

Y2K problem finally strikes!

Everything around has recently, suddenly, and collectively decided to stop working. The list is pretty impressive:

1) the motor in Jotaro's mobile has called it quits,
2) my electronic Japanese/English dictionary refuses to display either Japanese or English,
3) the internal gears in my movement powered watch need replacing,
4) the CMOS battery in my laptop died and basically took the hard drive with it,
5) the big TV I've basically always had in Japan has thrown in the towel,
6) our digital camera got wet at Fruits Flower Park and needs to be repaired.

Otherwise we're all doing fine. For my wedding job I was once again sent to Tokushima on Shikoku island. I used to go there nearly every weekend up until December last year when I requested a change of venue because of the baby. They've sent me back again because it's a holiday (obon) and probably no one else is available. I really didn't mind though because I've got friends there and figured that I could probably get to watch the Awa Odori Matsuri which I've never actually seen. It's a big festival with lots of dance troupes in colourful costumes doing the traditional Awa Odori dance through the streets. I only had a few weddings this day but the only available bus seats were early in the morning and late in the evening. Oh well, I figured I'd make a whole day of it. After arriving early in the morning I could see how the streets had been festively decorated.

Paper lanterns line the streets of Tokushima

These grandstands, and many more like them, are setup for people willing to pay to get a great view of the dancers.

Seeing as how I'd arrived really early I decided to rent a bicycle (free for tourists!) and go look for the new wedding chapel which is supposed to open next month. I had found a map on the internet but in reality it was much further away than it appeared. It's definitely too far to walk to from the station. When I go there in the future I'll have to go by either bike or taxi.

The nearly completed ブラン・アンジュ Blanc Ange wedding chapel. It's part of a big, expensive new wedding resort.

Here's a drawing of the whole resort.

I later found out that the dancing wouldn't begin until 6pm. Unfortunately my bus heading back to Kobe left at 5:30 so despite staying in Tokushima for nearly the entire day I wouldn't get to see any dancing. What a bummer. Luckily I found this group of children doing the Awa Odori in a shopping arcade. That made my dad.

Kids doing the Awa Odori in Tokushima.

Here's Jotaro playing with Miku.



Jo sleeping in his bed.

Jo playing with his new Snoopy Playcenter.

Jotaro playing with one of his toys which we call 'Buggy'.


Here's Jotaro trying mikan (mandarin orange) juice for the 1st time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home