Thursday, June 10, 2004

The Thursday Chronicles

Thursday starts off pretty well for me. I've only got afternoon classes so I can take it easy in the morning. I still get up at the same time, take out the garbage, make breakfast for Yukiko, but then I can relax for a few hours. This morning I tried to phone my dad and wish him a happy birthday (Happy Birthday Dad!) but I couldn't get through to him. So I put my feet up and watched the movie Phone Booth. I rented it last week but hadn't had a chance to watch it. I'd heard good things about it but I wasn't that impressed.
11:00 and I'm off to school. At this time the trains are pretty empty so I get a seat the entire trip. I only had 2 classes to teach today and in 1 of them there was a University student (studying to be an English teacher) observing my class. After the class I was speaking to him about the material we covered, prepositions and their proper usage, and I realized my students had a better grasp of the material than he did. Whow.
I've got a Japanese language class this evening so until then I'm going to stay at school and study on my own. Yukiko is going to Tipness by herself after work to exercise so we'll meet up at home at about 10pm.

On a different note: I'm a little disappointed with the coverage about former President Reagan's death. The revisioning of History is just mindboggling. People are describing him as if he was a saint. Bush is talking about Reagan's fight with the 'Great Evil Empire' to spur on Americans to support his war on terror. Why is there no mention of his support for Death Squads and murderous dictators in Central America? Who sold the chemical weapons to Saddham Hussein? Who supported the terrorists (Contras) in Nicaragua that killed 50000 people? http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=54&ItemID=5683
Is Libya's Quadhafi the only diplomat brave enough to question Reagan's legacy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home