Thursday, August 31, 2006

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello

Some things in Japan never change. Inevitably good friends will leave and return to their own countries or decide to explore other foreign shores. Sometimes you get lucky though and make new friends, or old friends come back.

My friend Linda got a job as teacher in England and went home. I only met Linda about a year and a half ago. She was taking the same Linguistics course as I was. She got the class list and saw that I lived very close to her (just 1 station away to be exact) and gave me a call. She worked at a NOVA language school and liked to practice karate. We often chatted about K-1 and martial arts. She also had a penchant for figuring out puzzles and making delicious pancakes for snacks. Linda, I hope you enjoy your new job and being home!

Linda at her farewell party.

Karaoke party.

Brent & I

But as Linda left, my friend from Victoria returned to Japan. Owen joined the JET program and is living nearby in Kyoto. His parents treated me to Sunday dinners so many times in Victoria that I've got a lot of kharmic payments to make. He's a huge J-League soccer fan so maybe I'll go watch a game with him sometime. I don't have any new pics of Owen but here's one from when he was on TV here.



Another hello to Ririka, the bouncing baby girl of our good friends Chika and Shige. We went over to their house to meet Ririka and watch the annual ceremony that Chika's mum sponsors. She sets up a canopy and a priest comes to perferm a 'jizo obon', a ceremony to bless young children and babies.

Here's Ririka!

The proud papa. Shige & Ririka

Jo & I

Mum and kids sit around the priest as he rubs his prayer beads and says magical things

Paper lanters with the names of all the children written on them. Chika's mum said she would make one with Jotaro's name on it for next year.

Jotaro also got to play with some local kids in Chika's house.







As reported in an earlier post our old TV was on its last legs. So say hello to our new, bigger and better TV! It's one of the new ultra thin, wide screen LCD models. The prices have really dropped on these so it was a good time to get one. I also made sure it's fully HD compatible so one day we'll be able to enjoy videos in all their glory.

Our little living room.


Jotaro in action:
































Jo's new inflatable bath chair

The longest yard - Jotaro crawls


It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Jotaro!!


Jotaro inaction:

















Jotaro in cahoots:

Miku & Fu-chan

Miku-chan

Miku, Jo, Hiro-kun

Yuka slurps on a mango frappuccino

Miku, Jo and Fu-chan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home